Plenty has been written about WordPress development best practices, but they have been scattered all over the Web. This article attempts to collect and categorize them in one place. The list is decidedly short, but the sites/articles mentioned here are often a long read.
These are the central areas on which WordPress best practices are discussed and written about. It’s a good idea to consult these sites first whenever you have doubts about something.
- Codex Developer Documentation
- Core Contributor Handbook
- Code Poet
- Make WordPress Themes
- Make WordPress UI
- Make WordPress Accessible
General Theme Development
Testing and Quality-control
- The WordPress GPL Timeline
- Codex Licensing requirements for inclusion in WordPress.org Theme Directory